Monday, December 16, 2013

Selflessness

The semester is winding down for both my kiddos at school, as well as at the school I attend for my masters degree in clinical counseling. And as we head into Christmas and the New Year, I wanted to teach the kids selflessness and using it in everyday life.

The first activity I called "The Wishing Tree". Basically, we made a big Christmas tree out of butcher paper (I had a kiddo who needed a calming activity help me with all of those curls! Love it!). Then, each of them got three blank Christmas ornament patterns. They could decorate it however they wanted, but I wanted them to think of something they wished for others. I turned on Christmas music and the whole class was so focused and seemed to really enjoy the activity. Then, we shared our wishes for others and I allowed the class to put their ornaments on the tree.

Do not judge us for our Christmas tree making skills... 
Homemade Gift Guru  is where you can download the ornament pattern if you would like.

This kids did awesome with this activity. I was very pleased with the participation and effort that went into making the ornaments and the wishes that they gave for other people. We had everything from world peace to wishing that we could have a white Christmas, but that it would only snow on the grass so that nobody got hurt while they were driving.I am consistently blown away by the kids' selflessness when they are prompted... just hoping I can get their selflessness to shine through all the time!

We have 5 more schools days left until Christmas break and I'm not sure who is more ready... the kids or the teachers! I'm also done with school as of last Friday, so I've got "plenty" of free time to do things for this blog... I hope! We shall see.

Have a wonderful day!

No comments:

Post a Comment